Spectroscopy at Virtual Telescope was officially started at the end of Nov 2012, when a diffraction grating was made available on the Celestron 14 robotic unit.
Since then, several spectra were obtained, both for refining/fine tuning the system and doing science on special targets, as novae and supernovae.
The system has proven to be very flexible, able to offer quick spectroscopy as soon as a given transient is detected.
The amazing tracking capabilities of the robotic mount makes possible quite long integration, collecting enough signal to investigate relatively faint objects, with a dispersion of ~17 angstrom/pixel (before 01 April 2023, we used a 100 lines/mm grating, providing a ~34 angstrom/pixel dispersion). For data reduction, we use RSpec.
Below, a list of spectroscopic works done with our telescope is provided.
- Nova TCP J17525020-2024150 in Sgr: image ans spectroscopy (16 July 2023)
- * Supernova SN 2014by (= PSN J14274900+1133400) in UGC 9267 (19 July 2014)
- * Supernova SN 2014bv (= PSN J12243098+7532086) in NGC 4386 (19 June 2014)
- * Supernova SN 2014bg (= PSN J14354590+2443179) in UGC 9396 (5 June 2014)
- * Supernova SN 2014bc (= PSN J12185771+4718113)in Messier 106 (21 May 2014)
- * Supernova SN 2014K in PGC 24869: image and spectroscopy (25 Jan. 2014)
- * Nova Aquilae 2013 = PNV J19023335+0315190: spectroscopy 1, 2 (28 Oct. 2013)
- * Supernova SN 2013fw (PSN J21134481+1334335) in NGC 7042: image and spectroscopy (25 Oct. 2013)
- Supernova SN 2014J in Messier 82: animation and spectroscopy (22 Jan. 2014)
- * Supernova PSN J22042153+3944340 in UGC 11895: image and spectroscopy (21 Oct. 2013)
- * Supernova PSN J02224207+2816012 in IC 221: image and spectroscopy (28 Aug. 2013)
- * Supernova PSN J20435357+1230517 in NGC 6956: image and spectroscopy (28 Aug. 2013)
- * Possible nova PNV J20233073+2046041 in Delphinus (14 Aug. 2013)
- Supernova 2013dy in NGC 7250: spectrum (3 Aug. 2013)
- Supernova SN 2013ej in Messier 74: animation and spectrum (2 Aug. 2013)
- SupernovaN 2013ej in M74: image and spectroscopy (30 July 2013)
- Quasar PG 1634+706: spectrum and redshift (27 July 2013)
- * PSN J10015683+5541440 in NGC 3079: confirmation image and spectroscopy (16 July 2013)
- Supernova SN 2013df in NGC 4414: spectrum (4 July 2013)
- Quasar APM 08279+5255: a low-res spectrum and redshift (9 Apr. 2013)
- Supernova SN 2013ab in NGC 5669: spectrum and image (3 Apr. 2013)
- Quasar 3C 273: a low-res spectrum and redshift (14 Feb. 2013)
- Nova Cephei 2013: low-res spectrum (9 Feb. 2013)
* = this observation made the nature of the nova/supernova clear.
Support The Virtual Telescope Project!
Support us! Please, donate and receive unique, LIMITED EDITION set of images of the stunning comet C/2020 F3 Neowise above Rome, of potentially hazardous asteroids, space stations and much more, specifically made for supporters like you!
(you can adjust the amount later)